Friday, April 13, 2012

27! the salsa birthday

First weekend of birthday fun, my favorite cousin came into town from ATL! I picked Paladar Latin Kitchen & Rum Bar for dinner, a hot Vegas or NYC style restaurant in Woodmere with amazing chips and salsa, guacamole and rum cocktails.

Before dinner our best friends Kyle and Lauren met up with us at the apartment and brought me this adorable bottle of cake flavored vodka. No kidding, it is cake. And vodka.



At the restaurant we ordered a full spread of flavored guacamoles and salsas, which change every now and then. The chips are one of my favorite things, instead of the normal, expected tortilla chips they have crisp plantains and taro. The food is a mix of all Mexican, Central and South American and my Brazilian style chicken soft tacos were a delicious crunchy nutty spicy treat! I can't believe I didn't take a picture, I always do. I was probably too into the drink of the evening, an incredible pomegranate ginger mojito garnished with a stick of sugar cane.


For birthday weekend two (the actual birthday weekend, but I like to drag my birthday out as much as I can either way) I wanted to do something new and different and found complimentary salsa dance lessons at the VIP Fortress Nightclub in Cleveland.


Kyle and Lauren came with us for this adventure. Upon walking in we were greeted by the professional instructors on the floor and asked if we were there for beginner, intermediate or advanced lessons. Us obvious beginners were taken to one side of the floor and taught the basic counts, steps and turns. The guys learned how to "hold a pizza and raise it up", spinning themselves and then us by our hands, spinning another way, and another way. We spun, missed, lost our balance, laughed, traded partners, spun some more, until we perfected our basic little routine. The instructors were great. The gentleman seemed a little envious of my husband's height while eagerly pointing out his disadvantages, but we got a laugh out of that too. The boys felt a little sick from all of the spinning so shortly after dinner, but we're excited to practice at home and go up for another lesson someday. I could have watched the advanced dancers go all night. What a fun new experience to start off year 27!

No comments:

Post a Comment