Tuesday, April 24, 2012

meeting N&N ♥

Soon enough I will "retire" and have my own babies. Meanwhile, my heart belongs to these little ones still after two years! The amount of love I've experienced with them is incredible, sometimes I could just burst. If being a mother makes me feel more full than this, and I know it will, I just don't know how I'll survive. :)

When I started, three-year-old N still had a hint of a German/British mixed accent. He would greet me in the morning with his big blue eyes and brown curly bed head in a t-shirt, briefs and Lightning McQueen slippers. It didn't take him two days to start hugging me hello (not shy at all) and he'd invite me to sit with him while he finished breakfast. Breakfast was usually an awesome European spread - french baguette, cheeses and meats, sliced tomato, crepe style pancakes. He only ate the bread and cheese. "Rocket fuel" he called it. He told me about the neighborhood, family and friends, the importance of recycling, his travels. The first time he lifted his mug of chai and said "cheers", I almost fell off my seat. Every day with him was a new awesome conversation, a new adventure.


N♥ had just turned a year old and was still taking two naps a day. I'd open the door to her room and she'd be standing in her crib with the biggest smile behind her clear plastic binky, blonde hair always perfectly tousled from sleep, big blue eyes sparkling. She bore striking resemblance to a biological Jolie-Pitt child. She just wanted to explore everything with her fairly new walking feet. Toddle and fall, toddle and fall...laugh, jump (kind of) and start over again. Taste this, bang on that. I love that age, like curious little cavemen. She was learning first words in both English and German, so I got to learn with her. I loved watching her discover and play. Both kids were (and still are) extremely cuddly so there's never a shortage of kisses and hugs. They both loved to read, take walks and laugh at even my worst jokes. Could it get better than that?



I'm so thankful for their parents, who have become incredible friends and mentors. I'm glad they took the chance at finding me and I'm glad I gave them a chance! (They were the last one...I've got hilarious and nightmarish nanny stories to tell too) They've also introduced me to others in the neighborhood, a handful of equally terrific families that I've gladly included in our time over these two years. All of the kids together make a perfect grand finale in the child care chapter of my life.

To celebrate our "nanny-versary" we had Superman ice cream. Happiness is a sticky blue face. I can't wait to see what year three brings. I only hope I've been as good to them as they've been to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment